Tuesday 22 October 2019

Ely Cathedral - Yet Again.

I just love visiting Ely Cathedral, not only for its peaceful environment but pictorially I never tier of the opportunities.

My last post about Ely Cathedral was back in June where I had borrowed a Canon TS-E24mm f/3.5L II (Tilt/Shift) lens. This type of lens is ideal for architectural photography. I have now purchased a second hand lens and this was one of my first proper outings with it - It's been 'burning a hole in my camera bag' since June.

The Tilt Function allows you to correct converging verticals while the Shift Function allows you too 'stitch' together shots to create a high resolution panorama.

Adobe has introduced in Lightroom a feature to create HDR Panoramas and I had not really tried this out yet.

Not only was this trip using the TS-E24mm lens but also my new Canon EOS R Full Frame Mirrorless Camera. To say I went out a 'happy bunny' was an understatement :)

When I arrived at the Cathedral I noticed that the 'normal' ropes around the alter were removed as was the centre floor under the Octagon. This was photographically and ideal opportunity.

All the shots here are from my experimentation.

  • I had the camera on my tripod with a Benro geared head, ideal for Architectural photography.
  • With the camera in Landscape format. 
  • I used the Lens tilt function to correct the converging verticals initially. In fact I was shooting almost straight so I did not need much adjustment. 
  • I then used the Shift function to move the lens vertically to create the panorama. 
  • I was sooting in HDR, 3 shots with plus/minus 2 stops.


To start with I was taking the panorama shots in four or five different shift positions but I soon realised the I could cover the range I was looking for in three 'shifted' shots.

Post processing was done in Adobe Lightroom using the HDR Panorama with perspective projection selected in the HDR Panorama dialog.

I am very pleased with the results. I know the Lens has many more possibilities for me try out.












No comments:

Post a Comment

Cambridge University Botanic Garden with the Camera Club

Saturday 17th Feb 24 - Sue and I met up with other members of the Cambridge Camera Club at the  Cambridge University Botanic Garden .