Saturday 5 March 2016

David Wynne's Blessed Virgin Mary Statue in Ely Cathedral

One of my absolute favourite statues in Ely Cathedral, come to that I could say 'anywhere' is David Wynne's Statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

I have taken photos of this statue a number of times but not been happy with the result. Here are a few images that all come from one photo taken last October at Half term when we visited the Cathedral's Activity Day with Granddaughters Eloise and Imogen. I took my camera not expecting to do any more than family happy snaps.

I tried to capture an image of the statue again. Here is the first processing of the image in monochrome


I have just downloaded On1 Photo 10 plug in for Photoshop and Lightroom and had a play with some of the filter effects it can produce. I was quite pleased with the 'gaudy colours' of this image. The filter was simulating light leaks from the old film days.


The images rested on my hard drive for a few months, then in January I visited SBH from the Cambridge Camera Club and she showed me a panel of 5 images that she had processed as Photoshop Twirls. Lovely pastel images. 

I have since played with the Photoshop Twirl Process and put a blog other the other day.

I have also tried 'The Twirl' on this image. By changing the blend modes you can get some great patterns

Exclusion Blend

Lighten Blend

Difference Blend

Hue Blend

Pin Light Blend


Another friend from the Cambridge Camera Club, Lionel Callow, saw my blog and took the Twirl process further and applied it to an Eagle as a composite image with the original (I think) to extremely good effect. (have a look at his blog HERE)

I thought that my Mary image might work well. I took some of the images above and opened as layers in Photoshop and played with the blend modes on each layer and used masks on each layer to bring out certain features. Great Fun.

Here are some results





If anyone is interested here are the layers





No comments:

Post a Comment

Cambridge University Botanic Garden with the Camera Club

Saturday 17th Feb 24 - Sue and I met up with other members of the Cambridge Camera Club at the  Cambridge University Botanic Garden .