Monday 6 January 2020

Christmas Tree Multiple Exposures

Before we took the decorations down I decided to have a play with multiple exposures on the Christmas tree. As many of you know I am an early to bed person but this time Sue went up before me. I thought just a few minutes playing before I go up .... 2 hours tater I did go !! :)

All were taken using the Canon 24mm Tilt and Shift Lens on my tripod with the Benro Geared Head.

I started playing to see how I could use the precise movements of the T+S Lens and the greed head whilst creating in-camera multiple exposures. (Canon EOS R).

The general method was to take a photo and then 'move' one of the adjustments a small amount and then take another image. I had the camera set to 9 exposures. A useful feature of the Canon Cameras is that you can terminate the sequence at any time (and also undo the last shot). This means you can carry on working the multiple exposure until you are happy with the result. I also played with the in-camera blending modes (Average, Bright and Dark) plus the white balance.

I also used long exposures on some images while moving one of the adjustments.

Having not used the 24mm lens as a 'close up lens' before I was very pleased with the close focus ability of the lens. Before I started I did think I would have to use a short extension tube or close up filter, but I did not need to in this instance.

Post processing was done in Lightroom Classic.

I am on the mailing list for Doug Chinery and Velda Bailey (https://www.baileychinnery.com). They have been exploring the world of photo impressionism for a few years and I am hoping to get on one of their workshops sometime. As a Christmas Present to their subscribers they sent out a few lightroom presets. I find other peoples presets interesting and by looking at what they have done I can develop my own presets / methods. What I did find interesting is their use of the HSL panel in particular the Hue sliders.

Here are 12 photos that I am pleased with. I must have taken about 50 so the success rate is lowish but not unexpected. If you watch the Bailey-Chinery training videos you will see this is the norm.














No comments:

Post a Comment

Cambridge University Botanic Garden with the Camera Club

Saturday 17th Feb 24 - Sue and I met up with other members of the Cambridge Camera Club at the  Cambridge University Botanic Garden .