Thursday 9 October 2014

Chatham Historic Dockyard (2) - Victorian Ropery

While we were at the Chatham Historic Dockyard we took the time to visit the Victorian Ropery. This is still a working rope makeing company and to quote their web site it is



The worlds only working traditional rope walk to survive from the age of sail.

See http://www.thedockyard.co.uk/Plan_Your_Day/Ropery/ropery.html

The rope walk is a 1/4 mile long and when we visited we had it mainly to ourselves. The light was very low and I decided to push the ISO of my camera up to 128000 and shoot in camera HDR hand held.

The Canon 5Dmkiii takes 3 shots, saves the individual shoots and produces an in-camera HDR image in jpeg. I normally don't do a lot with this combined file and work with the individual files in NIK HDR EFex Pro2. However the shots here on this blog are all from this in camera jpeg file with a bit of adjustment in Adobe Lightroom. I will probably get round to processing some of these files in the NIK software but I was quite impressed with the results from the jpegs.

My fascination with rope making stems from the 25 years I spent as a Scout Leader. As a Scout Group the children loved making large wooden structures from logs and lashing them together with ropes. Their favorite construction was always either a ballista or a rope bridge across a stream. Good fun.

















No I did not write my name on the wall




1 comment:

Cambridge University Botanic Garden with the Camera Club

Saturday 17th Feb 24 - Sue and I met up with other members of the Cambridge Camera Club at the  Cambridge University Botanic Garden .