Tuesday 3 May 2016

ARPS Panel

For the last couple of years I have been working towards a panel of images for submission to the Royal Photographic Society (RPS) for the Associateship Distinction (APRS).

For this distinction you need 15 images on a theme, complete with a statement of intent. The RPS encourages help an guidance from experienced photographers and hold advisory days around the country.

I am very fortunates to be a member of the Cambridge Camera Club who hold monthly meetings to help people like me to submit to both the RPS and the PAGB (Photographic Alliance of Great Britain)

Having had about 12 months help and guidance from the club, in May last year I submitted my 15 images plus some spares to a RPS Advisory Day. This was held by Eastern Region of the RPS in Foxton, Cambridgeshire.

My Panel was put up and my statement of intent read out. This is my statement ...
My interest in photographing church interiors goes back to my early 20's. A few years ago I embarked on a project visiting as many Cathedrals in the UK as possible. Having gained my LRPS in 2013, I started thinking about the next step and it seemed logical to look at my cathedral project.  My panel represents a combination of my two passions, photographing cathedrals and developing my creative skills. Visualising what a captured image would be like with a texture, double exposures or software manipulation has been challenging and very rewarding. All too often I am overwhelmed with the grandeur of these buildings but this approach has opened my eyes to the wealth of detail that can be found.   Barry Badcock LRPSMay 2015.

Three Fellows of the RPS (FRPS) where there to advise on my panel. After a few changes, photo position within the panel and actual images all was ready and they thought I should submit my panel to the RPS in Bath. I booked Assessment Day to held in October last year.

You can go along and watch the proceedings. Sue and I travelled to the RPS HQ in Bath.

There where about 12 panels being judged that day. There were three possible outcomes.
1. Approved for Recommendation to the RPS Board
2. 'Failed'
3. Refereed

There was less than a 40% success rate that day. with two panels being refereed.

Being Referred meant that the Assessment Panel felt that the panel of images was very near to being acceptable but it was being let down by one or two images.

My panel fell into this category. I had one image that showed 'A Large Blown Highlight'.

So I reworked this image and resubmitted this March. As a refereed panel they only judge the reworked / replaced image. They do this in the context of the panel as a whole and the individual 'quality' of the replacement image. This Assessment is 'in camera' i.e. behind closed doors.

I cannot tell you the joy I felt when I received an email on the day after the re assessment when I was informed that my panel was to be put before the RPS board for an ARPS distinction. WhoooooHoooo.

I have now received by certificate and lapel pin :)

Here is the panel ....
The 15 Images have to work together to create a whole picture.
My APRS Panel
Here are the individual images ...

The First Row. Five Images all made up of multiple exposures. All the multiple Exposure Images where worked on in Photoshop but each individual image was taken at the same time. ...

Ely Cathedral. 
This image was actually taken where Mary Magdalena was facing the other way. The Advisory Board moved it into position 1, due to its strength, but it needed to look 'into the panel'. The Statue is by David Wynne (1967) and depicts the moving encounter between Jesus and Mary Magdalene on the first Easter Day.

Coventry Cathedral
In this image the texture you can see was taken from the wall near the Candles and distorted in Photoshop to give a swirl effect. This image was one where I was learning the technique of in-camera multiple exposures. My Canon 5D mk111 has this ability and will create a composite image in camera. I always choose to keep the individual files so I can further work on the idea I have developed at the Cathedral.

Winchester Cathedral
 The double exposure is quite subtle on this image. Part of the right hand side was 'cloned' to fill in areas of light brickwork.

Norwich Cathedral
The steps within the Cathedral and copied to a second layer where they are distorted and the blending mode changed to give a light effect.

Ely Cathedral

Two sides f the same doorway are composited along with a view through the door.

Second Row ...
Coventry Cathedral
Another image starting life as a 'in-camera' double exposure. the flooring     of the brass steps giving a texture to the image. 
Ely Cathedral
I just love the lecturn in Ely Cathedral. This is the image that was the cause of my initial deferral. in the small image below you can see the 'blown highlight' quite clearly. A number of people who have helped with my A panel submission have said 'How did we miss it!!!'

The Original #07 Image

St Albans Cathedral
A composite of three images. The Crucifixion, the other two where from the walls in the Cathedral. The colourisation of the left had composite was warmed up to give more of a gradient of colours across the image

Lincoln Cathedral
 The Pattern and warm tone where taken from other areas in Lincoln Cathedral.

Ely Cathedral
You cannot actually see the Lectern with this orientation to the cathedral. Its a cut-out and double exposure. The cathedral area is also desaturated to bring out the gold of the Lectern.

Third Row ...

This bottom row has a dark / gritty look and, in general, single images with different viewpoints when taking the photo. I have used the NIK software and either the midnight filter or dark contrasts filter. The effects are not applied globally in general but by careful selective masking and the use of blending modes

Ely Cathedral
The statue of St Etheldreda, queen, foundress and abbess of Ely (d697).

Wells Cathedral

Peterborough Cathedral

Winchester Cathedral
 A life size man contemplating the water held in his cupped hand. Called Sound II and is the work of Antony Gormley. In the crypt of Winchester Cathedral. It often Floods but I visited when it was dry :(

Peterborough Cathedral
The hanging crucifix or rood is designed by George Pace in 1975, the figure of Christ is by Frank Roper. The background has been desaturated and darkened, The cross and figure have also been desaturated.







3 comments:

  1. Terrific imaginative panel, Barry. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful panel with beautiful images. I really like your description to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely stunning panel Barry. Well deserved ARPS . I wish I could produce pictures with such imagination. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete

Cambridge University Botanic Garden with the Camera Club

Saturday 17th Feb 24 - Sue and I met up with other members of the Cambridge Camera Club at the  Cambridge University Botanic Garden .