Tuesday 8 July 2014

My Travels #11 - Morning visit to the Kingcombe Centre

Tuesday 24th June. The day previous was the last full day we where all at the Higher Kingcombe Lodge. Everyone was leaving on the Tuesday morning except me, I was staying an extra day before travelling to stop with my Daughter, Nicki, in Swindon for a few days before going off to Butlins for a family holiday. More of this in some future posts.

We all said our goodbyes, it had been a fantastic few days 'out and about' with fellow photographic enthusiasts. Ann was not going till the afternoon so we decided on one last visit to the Kingcombe Centre just down the road.

Looking back at this part of my travels and at the photo's I had taken I realise how much I have leant from from Ann Miles and John Bulpitt. Still a long way to go to get to their standard but little steps help.














The next few shots were really and exciting experiment for me. Over the last few days I had learnt how to use high-speed flash to balance the daylight and to increase the depth of field for such small creatures. Ann found a glade where hover flies were hovering. So we tried to capture them in flight. I was using my Canon 100mm macro lens with flash. the camera set on Ai servo and high speed motor drive. 

The first shot shows just how little the fly was in the viewfinder. The rest are 'well and truly' cropped. It was a percentage game, I took loads of frames to get these few.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Cambridge University Botanic Garden with the Camera Club

Saturday 17th Feb 24 - Sue and I met up with other members of the Cambridge Camera Club at the  Cambridge University Botanic Garden .