Monday 16 December 2013

Out with the Cambridge Camera Club



Out with the Cambridge Camera Club to do a bit of night photography in Cambridge Town Centre. We met up at 15:00 near the Mill Pond and walked to the town centre. It had rained slightly so a nice sheen on the pavements. This was my first outing with my new camera, a Canon 5DMkiii. This is a full frame camera and the object of my desires for some time. Menu wise not a lot of difference from my previous camera, a Canon 7D. Buttons are in a different place so I kept pressing the wrong thing (situation normal). 

For a first trip out with it I am very pleased with it. In my enthusiasm to use and learn about it I failed to remember to turn off the image stabilisation when I attached the camera to the tripod, hence some of my long exposures had more camera shake than they should have, some unusable. Still life is a learning experience.

I tried some intentional camera movement shots (ICM) of the lights and quite pleased with the effects. In this case I zoomed the lens whilst the camera shutter was open.






Had a discussion about what a group of photographers are - We guessed a Coven. Here are a few with their three legged friends ...












The next shot is where I zoomed the lens during the exposure.

 I took another straight shot of the street and then blended the two images in Photoshop to get the movement and the buildings. A monochrome version and a colour version.












We walked round to Garret Hostel Bridge.



The area was very dark and photographing with a very long exposure gave some lovely sky and movement patterns. 
The first photo is a HDR shot from the bridge.


Bit of ICM again




3 comments:

  1. Another nice set Barry. I like the last one especially

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I echo that and especially the last one - might be worth trying a horizontal perspective correction or maybe better a distort/puppet warp as I find the sloping'horizon' a bit distracting

    ReplyDelete

Cambridge University Botanic Garden with the Camera Club

Saturday 17th Feb 24 - Sue and I met up with other members of the Cambridge Camera Club at the  Cambridge University Botanic Garden .