Thursday 9 March 2017

Inkdrops

I thought I would try a bit of Water Drop Photography. We ran a session last year at the Cambridge Camera Club Wednesday Workshop. I borrowed the Ink Dropping 'Rig' from Ann (an upside down foot stall with a wooden ink guide held in place with duck tape - see photos below)

I set up using water and then switched to Acrylic Ink. The most dramatic pictures are when the 'first drop' causes a splash upwards and hits the next drop coming down. With the 100 or so photos I took this only happened a couple of times. Still I got some nice abstract images of moving water. Further research has found quite a bit on this subject on the web and to get the collision photos I was after not easy. There are kit on sale that allow a stream of drops to be dispensed from a solenoid valve and a given speed and duration between drips.


The SetUp. MKi

Canon 5d mkiii with 100mm Macro Lens for most of the photos. Yongnuo Flash and Transmitter. Camera Tethered to the Laptop.
'Ann's' Stool

Pipette in the guide


Bend Paper Clip at the point of drop to aid focusing


Remote Flash Gun on Manual
The Set Up Mk2:
I gave Ann her furniture back and then had an idea to use my retort stand and a wooden insert. So I tried again. With this setup I used the Olympus OMD EM1 mki with 60mm macro lens (120mm full frame equivalent). Nissan flat triggered by the small on camera flash which in turn triggered a second Yongnuo flash. 




The Photos

 









This was the first 'real' collision in the air.



Rotated - Looks like a clowns face !!





 These next two photos where taken with the Olympus on the second set up rig.



3 comments:

  1. Love them Barry. The things you can get up to, once retired. Being a photographer is just an excuse to be a child again. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a difficult art, timing is every thing and patients is a virtue. lol

    ReplyDelete

Cambridge University Botanic Garden with the Camera Club

Saturday 17th Feb 24 - Sue and I met up with other members of the Cambridge Camera Club at the  Cambridge University Botanic Garden .