Tuesday 16 July 2013

Holkham Hall - Fallow Deer

Monday 15th July 2013. Sue wanted to go to Holkham Hall to see the exhibition - 'Glamour and Gowns - Couture by Belinda Bellville and Bellville Sassoon'. As I wanted to go back and have another go at Photographing the Fallow Deer there it seemed and ideal trip. Our friend Jenny came with us too.

My daughter, Zoe, gave me a book called 'The Wildlife Photography Workshop, by Ross Hoddinott and Ben Hall for Fathers day. Typical situation, we got back from Holkham and we were sitting in the garden enjoying the evening sunshine and I found the book had a chapter on photographing Deer and other 'timid' animals. I was quite please that although I had not been truly successfully at 'stalking these beautiful animals I was at least going along the right lines.....

1. Approach slowly from downwind (I learnt this from all the Westerns I have seen!!!)
2. Be quiet
3. Work towards the heard in a wide arc
4. If they start looking at you then you are probably not going to get much closer without a lot of patience.

We are planning to go back in October for the Rutting Season.

At first I could see no Adult Males. They all looked very young deer.








Lots of flies around the deers









After about 90 minutes of wondering around the heard I headed off for the lake. I then came across a group of Young Buck's .....
This group was initially a mixed group but on seeing me the Doe's got up and left. The Bucks did not seem to mind my presence as much and I managed to get a bit closer.

This one had a lot of flies


I then started you try a bit of minimalistic landscape photography...
 






The Thistles were great - I have played around with this one in Photoshop,
 
Then a couple of people shots




A really lovely day. We travelled back home via a Fish and Chip Shop in Sunny Hunny (and it was this time)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cambridge University Botanic Garden with the Camera Club

Saturday 17th Feb 24 - Sue and I met up with other members of the Cambridge Camera Club at the  Cambridge University Botanic Garden .