Friday 19 October 2018

Trip to York #01

This is the first of a number of Blogs based on images I took on a recent (end of September) trip to York. The trip was only 4 days but looking at the images I came back with I would say its one of my more successful trips. Where Success is measured by the pleasure and satisfaction I have when looking at these images. I hope you do too.

The trip was planned with three other people. Friends from the Cambridge Camera Club, Ann and Phil and my better half, Sue. We travelled by train. As it turned out Sue had to travel a day after me and it was unfortunate that Phil hurt his back and was unable to come.

Ann and I parked the car in St Neots, caught a train to Peterborough and then onto York. I really love traveling by Train.

Below you will see an image mentioning 'Whip Ma Whop Gate'. The exact meaning of this phrase is still under debate but the current theory is it means 'Neither one thing or another' or in 'old English 'Neither whit nor what'. Whatever it is only a few yards long and is certainly the shortest street in York.

Which leads me on to another York interesting fact. There are a lot of 'Gates and Bars' in York, now here is the interesting fact - A Street is A Gate, A Gate is A Bar (and a Bar is a Pub :)






















No comments:

Post a Comment

Cambridge University Botanic Garden with the Camera Club

Saturday 17th Feb 24 - Sue and I met up with other members of the Cambridge Camera Club at the  Cambridge University Botanic Garden .